Nitrate/Nitrite (forms of Nitrogen) tests are recommended for people who have private well water.
Generally, private water supplies should be tested for nitrate and bacterial contamination annually. Otherwise, drinking water should be tested if:
- you notice a change in your water quality.
- people using the water suffer from an illness which may be waterborne.
- there is a flood or large storm that may have carried contaminants to your wellhead.
- maintenance work is done on the well.
- a pregnant woman, a woman anticipating pregnancy, or an infant under the age of six months becomes a water user.